The annual graduation ce-remony of residents and fellows of the UERM Hospital was held at the College Auditorium last January 21, 2006. The event was attended by the heads and training officers of the Hospital’s clinical departments, and officers of the Administration led by President-Chief Academic Officer Dr. Romeo Divinagracia. This year’s keynote speaker, Department of Pediatrics Head Dr. Josefina Cadorna-Carlos, was chosen by the graduating residents and fellows.
As Chief of Clinics, Dr. Isaac David E. Ampil II announced the names of the 24 residents and fellows of 2005, while Pres. Divina-gracia, Hospital Administrator Dr. Vicente Tanseco and Medical Director Dr. Edgardo Cortez handed the certificates of graduation.
The successful graduates are:
• Department of Anesthesia: Joanna Marie M. Abando, M.D. (Chief Resident);
• Dept. of Clinical Neurosci-ences, Section of Neurology: Arnel L. Debalucos, M.D. (Chief Resident);
• Dept. of Medicine: Pia Teresa A. Camara, M.D., Katherine Therese S. Cayetano-Corsiga, M.D. (Chief Resident), Julie P. Ferraz, M.D., Minette Claire SG Ocampo-Rosario, M.D., Cecile J. Clemente, M.D. (Section of Dermatology), Ira Inductivo-Yu, M.D. (Section of Gastroenterology);
• Dept. of Obstetrics and Gyne-cology: Mary Joy A. Coronel, M.D. (Chief Resident), Adrian Setiawan, M.D., Maria Evangeline L. Tan, M.D.; Section of Ultrasound: Libby Y. Chengliong, M.D., Leilani G. Mangio, M.D., Maribelle H. Soriano, M.D.;
• Dept. of Ophthalmology: Emiliano M. Bernardo III, M.D. (Chief Resident), Tommee Lynne G. Tayengco, M.D.; Section of Neuro-Ophthalmology: Glenn V. Guevar-ra, M.D.;
• Dept. of Pediatrics: Willy Gunawan, M.D., Edward M. San-tos, M.D., Vinna Marie R. Tenorio, M.D. (Chief Resident);
• Dept. of Radiology: Jose Victor Q. Corsiga, M.D. (Chief Resident), Marie Lyle C. Gonzales M.D.;
• Dept. of Surgery: Hilda M. Sagayaga, M.D. (Chief Resident); and Section of Plastic and Reconst-ructive Surgery: Edwin Paul V. Magallona, M.D.
The Chief Residents of the different Departments were award-ed the Young Administrator Award, while Dr. Sagayaga of the Surgery Department was conferred a special Service Award for being the most senior Chief Resident, having served as Senior House Officer of the Hospital for two consecutive years. Subsequently, Dr. Julian Salvador A. Vinco, a resident from the Surgery Dept., bagged the Young Investigator Award for demonstrating “prof-ound interest and proficiency in making research,” as evidenced by his research paper “A Randomized Single-Blind Controlled Trial On The Efficacy Of Oral Tramadol Capsules In Preventing The Pain Of Transrectal Ultrasound-Guided Needle Biopsy Of The Prostate” that won Second Place in the UERMMMC Annual Research For-um 2005 and First Place in the Annual Surgical Forum in the same year.
Dr. Pia Teresa Camara was bequeathed the House Staff’s Choice Award for 2005, for showing “extraordinary concern for patients, proficiency and interest in teaching and training members of the house staff, unquestionable ethical values and exemplary attitude as a UERM physician.” JI Levi Maliwat, President of Junior Interns Batch 2006; Dr. Hyacinth Claire Tanseco, President of the Senior Interns Batch 2006; and Dr. Emiliano Bernardo III, outgoing President of the Residents Association, assisted Dr. Ampil in giving this recogni-tion to Dr. Camara.
Acknowledged with Loyalty Awards were residents who completed both their medical education and postgraduate and specialty training at UERM. Drs. Abando, Bernardo, Cayetano-Corsiga, Corsiga, Coronel, Ocampo-Rosario, Sagayaga, Tan and Tayengco were the Loyalty Awardees.
Dr. Bernardo, the outgoing President of the Residents Association, delivered a touching response on behalf of the graduates.
Following the awarding ceremonies was the symbolic turnover ceremony of the Residents Association as the outgoing officers pass on their responsibilities to the incoming officers. The new set of officers of the Residents’ Association, led by Warren Michael P. Lee Villanueva, M.D. as President, was sworn in by Chief of Clinics Dr. Ampil, who served as the inducting officer. The other new officers are Cecilio Hipolito, M.D., as Vice-President; Ivy Mae Escasa, M.D, Secretary; Anna Marie Espaldon, M.D., Treasurer; and Aldrin Serrano, M.D., as PRO. The event ended after Alumni Association President Dr. Antonio Anastacio led everyone in reciting the pledge of loyalty to our Alma Mater.
Congratulations to all the graduates and to the Chief of Clinics, Dr. Isaac David E. Ampil, and training officers Drs. Jose Salazar and Maribeth Delos Santos, for orchestrating this successful event. Jen M. Nailes, M.D.